Friday, January 20, 2006

Clown Clooney Clubbed

The father of Jack Abramoff, the lobbyist in trouble with the law, didn't like George Clooney's clowning at the Golden Globes ceremony.

So, he sent him a letter.

This letter below:

Oh how far Hollywood has fallen. When you rose to accept the Golden Globes best actor award earlier this week, you decided to take a gratuitous slap at my son, my family and even my dear departed father. Is this the tradition of Gable, Bogart, Pacino and Burton? Are you the heir to the dignity and greatness of Hollywood’s past, or more likely a portent to a depressing and horrific future?

Your glib and ridiculous attack on my son, Jack, coupled with your obscene query as to the choice his mother and I made in naming him brought shame and dishonor on you and your profession. What drove you to this lapse in lucidity, I can never know, but you need to know that your words were deeply hurtful to many innocent and decent people — who love my son and who cherish our family.

We have had to endure two years of unmitigated, outrageous falsehood directed at my son and his record of achievement on behalf of his clients and friends. The blood thirsty media, guilty of untold character assassinations during contemporary times, have even outdone themselves in their lust to create a cartoon which does not come close to resembling this fine man, my son.

The fact that you would spend those few moments accorded to you, as an honor for your work as an actor, bashing his name and his family, is astonishing. How do you sleep at night, other than, perhaps with the drink which you lamented not having at that early hour. Funny, it was very hard for us little people in television land to tell whether you had indulged in the bottle or not.

My son was named after my beloved departed father. His name, too, was Jack Abramoff. And, were he alive today, would be standing firmly behind his namesake, as his entire family and many more true friends than you will ever know.

Not that it matters to you, I am sure, but the worst part of your tirade is that it played out in front of many young people, including my sweet 12-year-old granddaughter, one of Jack’s five children. Jack did not waste his time watching the garbage spewing from your mouth, but his daughter did. You drove her to a fit of tears. Are you proud of that?

For four generations, our family has worked hard to serve this country we love. I enlisted as a young man of seventeen into the United States Navy, so I could serve my nation in WWII. My brother did the same, and we both served in South Pacific. My son dedicated his life to patriotic and religious causes, which have made this nation great. He gave unsparingly of his time and resources to help those in need.

You spend your days ridiculing our nation and our traditions. You mock those who serve our nation and its flag. You revile my son and publicly try to humiliate him in front of a national audience. I have news for you George Clooney — one day the truth about my son will come out and there will be a lot of people in your industry and others lined up to apologize for their efforts to destroy him and our family. You won’t be in that line, though, be cause the plague of arrogance and falsehood will surely continue to blind your eyes and cause your tongue to disgrace the parents who brought you onto the earth.

One wonders how your father would respond, were the roles reversed. One wonders whether your children would delight in someone lampooning your name and besmirching your reputation. You have brought yourself to a low unparalleled by the greats of your profession. Shame on you.

FRANK ABRAMOFF
Rancho Mirage, CA

4 comments:

YMedad said...

That may be all true. Nevertheless, it was he and not you nor me that got world coverage for his statement, as dumb as it was and that's where the inadequacy lies as well as the danger.

YMedad said...

Since I did not make any value judgment about the right to speak one's mind even if he is an actor, I don't get Daedalus' comment. I wrote "dumb" in terms of making fun of someone's name. That I think is not only dumb but qutie uncouth. So, is Daedalus right? wrong? dumbe? uncouth?

Cathie said...

in response to your comment on my blog, i wrote: Where have I said some celebrity can't make political statements? Frank Abramoff, first of all, is not a celebrity, or at least wasn't until is son got into trouble. Secondly, Frank Abramoff is not making any political statement. He's whining because his celebrity son had his feelings hurt. Aww. Criminals deserve little sympathy.

You would not have posted anything about this had Clooney been a Bush supporter making anti-Dean comments.

YMedad said...

i sure would have. what interested me was his father's comments as they apply to everybody, even a Hollywood actor. it was the fighting back element that attracted my interest. your problem is that you can't believe anyone who has a different ideological agenda than yours can think, write and comprehend matters needing due consideration.