Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Ehud Olmert Speaks

From the remarks of Acting PM Ehud Olmert to the 6th Annual Israel-Europe Conference - Feb 6, 2006:-


Finally, I wish to say something about the internal atmosphere here. We are in the midst of a difficult disagreement. It did not begin today. It has continued for quite some time. It is difficult and painful, and I feel this disagreement cannot be obfuscated only by spouting slogans. However, we can speak honestly, with complete openness and seriously, with a feeling of responsibility for all sectors of the public about this disagreement, and about the measures we adopt in order to be able to live with it.

I intend to speak with everyone. I am not afraid to talk to those who fight us. And of course I will speak to those who are an inseparable part of Israeli society. They are a loved part, they are a part which made a great contribution, even if sometimes I disagree with them, even if I am of the opinion that they are mistaken, and I am concerned that they are misleading, and I am convinced that they may, heaven forbid, lead us to a path which has no exit. I will speak with everyone. I will conduct a dialogue with everyone. I will sit with everyone and try to find a way to solve our internal problems, not out of hate, not out of annoyance, not out of a desire to hurt, but out of patience - endless patience - because we have no other way.

If there is something I have learned from our collective experience over many years, it is that, despite our differences, if we can eventually preserve the basis which unites us all, there is no limit to our power, there is no limit to our possibilities, there is no limit to our chances. And I will never waive our duty to maintain the law, carry out the decisions of the courts and protect Israeli democracy at any cost, and also the need to embrace all sectors of Israeli society, and speak with them in order that we may all march forward.

No comments: