Monday, June 26, 2006

Hair-Bleaching?

This appeared on a discussion-list of Halacha:-

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 16:54:18 -0400
From:
Subject: Hair-Bleaching for Men

Speaking of tattoos, facepaint and henna...

I'm looking for sources on men and bleaching hair. I was told once that there's a halakhic distinction between hair dye, which adds color and is assur mishum beged isha, and bleach, which removes color, and is mutar.

Are there any ratifying or contradictory pesaqim out there that can be referenced?


OrthoMom has attacked, justifiably so, Tefilat haderech "Insurance". DovBear attacks almost everything but especially blonde shiksas who are conservatives.

So, I figure, why not me attack hair-bleaching for men?

I mean, how wrong can I be?

6 comments:

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Yisrael: Now you know the secret to getting thousands of blog visitors a day :)

Daled Amos said...

There's a discussion of this on MailJewish.

The discussion starts here

There is a mention of a Psak from Rav Ovadiah Yosef (from memory) here

Also a discussion of using Grecian Formula here, here (the GF is a dye not a bleach of the white), and here.

As far as the albino look goes, beware the National Organization for Albinism and Hypopigmentation, who are already in an uproar over The Da Vinci Code.

Apparently racism is a pigment of the imagination.

Ezzie said...

I just remember my rebbe grabbing my hair and asking why I was dying it red. After a couple of minutes, I convinced him that in fact my hair did turn red in the summer, and he didn't have to be upset (they had made rules after several guys turned really really blonde).

Avi Green said...

What I disapprove of are tattoos! They do nothing more than to ruin the skin. We certainly don't need those.

YMedad said...

You're right. It works.

Charlie Hall said...

Almost all hair dyes contain carcinogens, so that is another reason they might be ussur.