Friday, July 14, 2006

Rose Roughed Up

Israel and Palestine


Sir, – I would like to respond to the line Jacqueline Rose (Letters, May 25) made between native Israelis’ attitudes towards Holocaust survivors and their attitudes towards the Palestinians.
Jacqueline Rose is "smacked around" a bit by, of all people, radical left-winger David Grossman.

His letter appears here (penultimate letter):-

Without entering into the debate between Jacqueline Rose and Frederic Raphael, I would like to make clear that Ms Rose made tendentious and manipulative use of my 1995 article to prove her case.

I never wrote that there is a direct connection between native Israelis’ attitudes towards Holocaust survivors and their attitudes today towards the Palestinians. I did not write any such thing, because I do not believe it. In my view, these two tragic sets of relations have entirely distinct causes.

Linking them in the way Jacqueline Rose does in her letter is one-dimensional and misleading.

DAVID GROSSMAN
PO Box 2720, Mevasseret Tzion, Israel.

No comments: