Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Here's Carter Promoting His New Book

I posted yesterday the C-Span video clip of former President Jimmy Carter being called vile and an antisemite.

Here's another look and the man and his book:-

...on the second day of Carter’s latest book tour. The book, his twenty-first, is “Palestine Peace Not Apartheid,” a provocation that had him parsing words, especially that last one, all week: “I’m not alleging racism, and I’m not referring to Israel. I’m talking about Palestine.” It is his contention that the situation in the Occupied Territories “is not debated or acknowledged or even known in this country,” and that the “tremendous aversion” here to criticism of Israel’s policies has contributed to the disintegration of the peace process. “I can’t imagine a Presidential candidate saying, ‘I’m going to take a balanced position toward the Israelis and the Palestinians,’ and getting elected,” he said. “It’s inconceivable. AIPAC is smart enough to penetrate any sort of circumlocutions.”

...The plane had been delayed by an hour. When it took off, Carter reached across and lowered the window shade. He kept talking, over the announcements from the flight deck, about the privations of the Palestinians, each grim factual citation made in a clipped but doleful manner that he has perfected over the years. (It is the antidote to his famous grin, which is now deployed in rare instances of mirthful circumspection, such as when he is asked why it might be that, as he put it, “you won’t read any of this stuff in the New York Times.” Cue smile: “I need to ask you that.”) As he lamented the West Bank wall, he drew a map of it on the cover of an in-flight magazine.

...He talked a little about the Iraq Study Group. He said that James Baker had asked him to testify before the group, but that he had declined. “I’ve been so adamantly opposed to the war, since before it started, that there’s nothing I could really add.” Still, he said, “I think it’s unquestionable—and I know how Baker feels, but I’m not going to say how he feels—that one of the main obstacles to any progress in Iraq is the lack of any progress in Palestine.”



He's just so much bull.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

theres alot more to his connection to baker than is recognized.

YMedad said...

you're probably right? any sources?