Friday, December 08, 2006

Imus - Eppes an Antisemite?

Radio personality Don Imus let loose with his own barrage of antisemitic vitriol on the November 30 broadcast of his “Imus in the Morning” show.

That morning, the program, which is produced in New York by WFAN and simulcast on MSNBC, was going to host a group of gospel singers known as the Blind Boys of Alabama. In anticipation of their appearance, Imus recalled reservations voiced by station supervisors prior to an earlier appearance by the group.

“I remember when I first had ’em on a few years ago,” Imus said. “The Jewish management at, whoever we work for, CBS, were bitchin’ at me about it.” “We had a meeting in my office,” Imus continued. “They were furious, but of course I don’t care what they say and never have.”

At this point, the show’s executive producer, Bernard McGuirk, a regular on-air presence, said of the Blind Boys, “Even if you wear a beanie, how can you not love these guys?”

“I tried to put it in terms that these money-grubbing bastards could understand,” Imus replied. “I said: ‘They’re handicapped, they’re black and they’re blind. How do we lose here?’ And then a light bulb went off over their scummy little heads.”

Imus co-host Larry Kenney, an impressionist who appeared earlier in the program as the Rev. Jerry Falwell, then said: “They probably were trying to push a more Semitic group on you. I don’t know, maybe the Paralyzed Putzes of Poland, or something like that.”

“You can’t believe what goes on behind the scenes, at least with me with these people,” Imus said. “And fortunately, I don’t care.”



Ah, America.

Land of the Free.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WFAN his home station full of Jew Haters. Perhaps my most vivid of personal memories of 9/11 came over the car radio listening to that station the day after the horrible attack. WFAN was my favorte station but that day I listened in shock as two the afternoon sports hosts who are the stations biggest stars after Imus, Mike Francesca and Chris Russo blamed 9/11 on the United States' support of Israel. They went even further suggesting that Jews in the U.S. needed to take a loyalty oath to decide between America and Israel. I do not know if they ever apologized or tried to explain their insensitivity. After two weeks of waiting, I stopped listening to the station.

A few months later, I remember reading a column from the Posts Sports TV reporter (I believe its Phil Mushnick) he was digusted about the hosts comments and asked the station If he could listen to the tape (keeping a copy of the tape is a requirement per the FCC). Anyway what do you know the tape was accedently taped over....oops.