Tuesday, September 04, 2007

You Can't Take It Into the Little Room

One book I've just read cannot be taken into the bathroom as it has the Hebrew word of God, the Tetragramatton, printed out and observant Jews view that as quite inappropriate. It's The History of Love, by Nicole Krauss (reviews here).

Nevertheless, let me quote someting, from page 165, that I noticed (as did the person from whom I borrowed the book):-

"Perhaps that's why I've never been able to throw anything away. Perhaps that's why I hoarded the world: with the hope that when I died, the sum total of my things would suggest a life larger than the one I lived".


I, to a certain extent, hoard, but it's articles and papers and reports on important issues and themes I find myself constantly dealing with - Israel, Zionism, Yesha, etc. They are not for afterwards but for now.

No comments: