Wednesday, December 10, 2008

On Likud Primaries

Here's Shmuel Sackett explaining the murky mechanics of Likud primaries:-

...allow me inform you how this crazy system works: Boaz HaEtzni won the YESHA spot with 2,718 votes. Ophir Okinis won the TEL AVIV spot with 1,923 votes. Katey Sheitrit won the JERUSALEM spot with 1,648 votes and Guy Yifrach won the MOETZET EZORIT spot with 669 votes. All of these people WON and will be Knesset members very soon. Compare that to me:

I received 10,234 votes (you read that right!!) and LOST the Olim spot.

Now for the obvious question: How can someone get 669 votes and WIN, while another gets 10,234 votes and LOSES??? Because last week, Bibi changed the rules - with the approval of the Central Committee - to make it MANDATORY for every voter to cast two votes for the Olim spots (which was not the case for any of the other specialized spots). This rule change was done specifically to target Asya [Entov] and myself, the two Feiglin candidates for Olim. Had the old rule remained in place, very few people would have voted for the Olim and my 10,234 votes would have made me a major winner. Instead, I get 10,234 votes and sit on the sidelines while people with 6% of those votes are considered winners!!!

2 comments:

Risa Tzohar said...

OK Wink,
So who are you voting for?

YMedad said...

In the primaries, I can't even remember. For the Knesset, unless HaBayit shapes up, it may be Likud.