Sunday, January 11, 2009

This Is "Intellectual Conservative Opinion"?

One Bernie Reeves relates a decades-old story here at Intellectual Conservative Politics and the most important part was this:

In 1982, before this sea change began to swell, the Jewish Defense League came to call on me. The three gentlemen asked if I knew what the JDL was. I answered I certainly have heard of you, but was unclear on your role. The visitors said they monitor area media wherever Jews live, seeking out reportage they construe as anti-Semitic. I said I was not an anti-Semite, and they said they didn't think so, either, as readers of my city weekly Spectator magazine in Raleigh, NC. But there was a problem about an editorial I had written that caused them concern.

And then I knew my crime. I had written that I was furious that the Israeli Prime Minister had refused to meet with the American ambassador over some issue – and I didn't like it. My reasoning was, the US funds and secures the existence of Israel, making them to me, if not a vassal state, at least a dependent entity on the largess of America. I also wrote that Israel had been sauntering around the region in jack boots ordering everyone about, and worse, had engaged in espionage against the US. When caught, remorse was replaced by righteousness, as if Israel answers to a higher calling as the Chosen People. In their view, the usual rules of statecraft don't apply.


I left this comment there:

I think they thought you were antisemitic because you used the term "jackboots", which, which most people, not only Jews, would immediately connect to Nazi imagery, or at the least, German army imagery. American soldiers are never dressed in "jackboots". So they presumed that you were comparing the IDF to the Wehrmacht SS and that, my dear sir, is not only wrong - not in the least because Israel doesn't establish concentration camps or worse - but antisemtic.

8 comments:

g said...

What "immediately connect...." to you, doesn't necessary connects to everyone. This connection exists only in your subconsiouness. Hey, we are all sorry for what Nazi did to you. But stop whining about antisemism already!!!!!!! It's really annoying!!!!!!!!!!

YMedad said...

Galia, who/whatever you are: you're beginning to annoy already. Isn't it amazing that you presume I should be sympathetic to poor Gazans who elected a terrorist government but I can't be sensitive to Nazi imagery?

Epaminondas said...

Hey Galia, match this, which does not even LIST 1939-45 to any other history in the last 2500 years, and btw try reading THIS

g said...

I have one word for you Medad. Paranoia! You feel everyone hates you, everyone wants to kill you... Paranoia!
"So whatever you wish that men would do to you, do so to them; for
this is the law and the prophets." (Matthew 7:12 RSV)

"And as you wish that men would do to you, do so to them."
(Luke 6:31 RSV)
You should try this.

YMedad said...

"Even a paranoid has some real enemies." - Henry Kissinger

--------------------------------

And for those quoting The New Testament, try this: "Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." Matthew 10:34

g said...

So i guess you admit to the paranoia part.

And on Matthew verse, I guess you take it literally and think that our God is some kind of God with anger management issues who slaughter people or "bring sword" so that some people can slaughter others? Or in your case, God probably gave jews the sword to kill "hamasniks"? This is misinterpretation and misuse of Bible.
There are different interpretations on what Jesus meant by this from sword meaning divine truth to it's ok to fight if your fight is for justice.
And this is the reality that is described. What is your way into future?

YMedad said...

The way you talk about the "sword" reminds me of the apologists for the use of "jihad" by Arafat as if that meant something other than killing Jews.

By the way, did you know that "The Galia is a type of melon similar to a cantaloupe, though larger, and with deep green flesh."

And mushy, like some people's thinking.

g said...

I am not excusing arafat or anyone else for killing for any cause. And like i said i am sorry for all the violence against jews in the world. But you have to stop propagating it! Treat others as you want to be treated! Don't disregard this teaching.
And you can insult me as much as you wish, if it helps you. Coming from you, doesn't bother me.