Sunday, January 11, 2009

Yale Interviews Me

Here's my comments to an email I received regarding an interview for a Yale student publication:

From: AP
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2009 5:41 PM
To: Yisrael Medad
Subject: Re: interview for Yale Politic


Thank you so much for your time on Sunday.

In light if the situation, and of current opinion towards Israel, i would like to focus my article more on Gaza, so I was wondering if you would mind answering a coupe more questions, although I understand if you don't have the time --

Do you think that Israel's response is proportionate?

No. We should be doing a bit more but we can't due to Hamasniks hiding under a hospital.


Although Israel may have been provoked by the constant rockets Hamas sent into Israel's territory, how would you respond to those who would say that Hamas was provoked by the economic siege?

If they were concerned over economics, why use rockets? Why destroy the Gush Katif greenhouses some stupid Americans put up millions of dollars to cover?


Do you think that Israel has indeed explored all other avenues to resolve the conflict?

You can't go off into unchartered waters exploring. If Hamas won't even return one kidnapped soldier, how can you stop anything else?


Do you think that Israel will able to achieve it's goal in Gaza?

Probably not = weak government, int'l pressure.


How much do you think that Israel should take world opinion into account?

Little.


What would you say that Israel is unjustified no matter what because this war is about defending a territory that they are not entitled to in the first place?

Don't understand question.


Some spokespeople for Hamas claim that there are no Israeli civilians, because all Israelis serve in the army. What do you think?

My daughters don't serve in the military. My friends' grandfathers don't serve in the military.


Is there a safe space anywhere for civilians in Gaza?

Jewish or Arab? Sure there is. There are 1.5 million residents there, no? And how many real civilians have been killed – do you really know? Or depend of "medics"?


Will there ever be a moral line beyond which it would be unacceptable for Israel to defend itself?

If threatened? No. Life is the utmost moral command. If two guys break into my house and threaten me with a gun and A kills my wife, can I shoot A? If yes, can I then shoot B is he is still holding a gun? And if B raped my wife first, am I allowed to rape B as well as killing A?


Hamas is a deeply religious party, and they believe as well that God has given them the land. Do you think that peace will ever be possible between two parties who both feel divinely entitled to the same land?

My God came first. They conquered my homeland in 638 when my people were either exiled or political shorn of power. That's cheating.


Thank you so much,


And thank you!

3 comments:

Jeff said...

Hard to tell which side of the conflict this journalist in training was on. >sarc off

g said...

I am glad to see the awareness in US increasing about the genocide in Palestine. We are working hard to spread the word, the protest here in Houston lasted for 8 hours yesterday, 2-10 pm. The message is out! And we are commited to free Palestine!

g said...

This is why is hard not to hate Israel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNKIEGzQOtw&feature=channel