Saturday, March 07, 2009

Alice Walker Loves Children???

AP reports:

Pulitzer-prize winning author Alice Walker, who wrote "The Color Purple," is traveling to Gaza along with other female activists to highlight the devastation of the Israeli offensive on Gaza's residents.



"I feel that what is happening in the Middle East is very important because the situation is so volatile," said Walker, speaking by telephone Saturday from the Rafah border crossing as her group waited to travel into Gaza. "I love people, and I love children and I feel that the Palestinian child is just as precious as the African-American child, as the Jewish child."


Who is behind this?

The trip, organized by the U.S. anti-war group Code Pink...


Black, Pink, Purple and, as pointed out, a bit, what, Red-faced:

In 1965, Walker met and later married Mel Leventhal, a Jewish civil rights lawyer. They were married on March 17, 1967 in New York City...The couple had a daughter, Rebecca in 1969...



Walker would later become estranged from her daughter, who felt more of "a political symbol... than a cherished daughter," and would later publish a memoir entitled Black White and Jewish, chronicling the effects of her parents' relationship on her childhood.


An example:

Walker is furious with Rebecca for making such sentiments public, and mother and daughter are estranged with little hope of reconciliation. Rebecca has a three-year-old son, Tenzin, whom her mother has never seen. Their last meaningful exchange, during Rebecca’s pregnancy, ended in Walker sending a terse e-mail in which she resigned from “the job” of being her mother, and told her that in any case their relationship had been “inconsequential” for years.

The depth of her anger was such that she refused to budge even when Rebecca had a difficult birth and Tenzin’s life hung in the balance in a special-care baby unit. “My father called her to tell her what was happening. He couldn’t imagine that she wouldn’t run right over . . . In some ways, I wanted her to — but in other ways, I didn’t. I knew she wouldn’t be able to be there for me in the way I wanted. It would be problematic.”


She loves children???

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I know, I thought that was strange too. I liked her book the Color Purple, but I think she should stick to writing fiction, rather than getting involved in political causes that she doesn't appear to know anything about.