Thursday, July 02, 2009

Fayyad Gets The Other Hand

Salam Fayyad greeted by Hillary Clinton, Washington, DC, July 1, 2009:

SECRETARY CLINTON: Hello. I am very welcome – very privileged to welcome the prime minister of the Palestinian Authority. Prime Minister Fayyad is someone who has worked very hard on behalf of the Palestinian people. I’m looking forward to our meeting and discussing the ways forward on economic and security and political progress, and I thank him very much for being here.

PRIME MINISTER FAYYAD: It’s good to be here, Madame Secretary. Thank you very much.

SECRETARY CLINTON: Thank you. I’ll shake with my other hand. (Laughter.)

PRIME MINISTER FAYYAD: Okay.

SECRETARY CLINTON: Thank you all very much


And we are expected to give the other cheek?


UPDATE


Someone asked for visuals:

A Fayyad-Clinton handshake earlier this year:



But now Clinton is bound:



So, Fayyad didn't get the right-hand shake this time:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Was there a visual context? I don't get it..