Sunday, July 12, 2009

A Loss Off The USS Shiloh

Having blogged about the American warship named after Shiloh, the Civil War battlefield location named after the village I live in, I felt that this bad news should be up:

The search for a USS Shiloh sailor who fell overboard Wednesday in waters
near Tokyo Harbor has ended without success, Navy officials said Saturday. U.S. Navy and Japanese Coast Guard ships and helicopters stopped actively looking for Petty Officer 1st Class Christopher Geathers on Friday evening, after 2½ days of a search effort that spanned much of Tokyo Bay.

The Shiloh, a Ticonderoga class guided-missile cruiser with about 360 servicemembers aboard, returned to Yokosuka Naval Base on Friday night, 7th Fleet spokesman Cmdr. Jeff Davis said Saturday. "After a thorough review of search and rescue data collected during this period, Navy officials determined that every reasonable effort had been expended, and expectations for recovery no longer existed," a 7th Fleet news release said.

Geathers’ duty status is now listed officially as "whereabouts unknown," Davis said.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My heart is broken. He was such an outstanding man and friend. He was always willing to go that extra mile when needed without complaint.

I am going to miss him greatly.......


RIP.... EM1.....

Your Ronnie.....

Anonymous said...

I served with Chris for 2 years on the Shiloh. He was a good and honest man who always went out of his way to help his shipmates. He was full of promise and too young to leave us. His tragic loss has left all he touched with a deep sense of emptiness. My prayers go out to all he left behind. Rest in peace old buddy.

Anonymous said...

Geathers was an awesome guy. We both served onboard the USS Blue Ridge together. He always kept his priorities in order. I pray that God blesses his family and fiance with the strength they need to make it through this trying time. Chris is with Jesus Christ and is well taken care of. He isn't missing us right now because he is in a better place, but we will miss him. I will see you again friend. MM1 Stewart your friend in Christ.

Unknown said...

I knew Geathers from the Mobile Bay and Cowpens. A great guy that was always smiling. A sad loss and I hope he is in a better place now.

Primo said...

I met Geathers on the Mobile Bay then we transfered over to the Cowpens... this guy was a cool guy, very funny and had this very cool calmness about him that made it very easy to get along with him. My heart goes out to his family. R.I.P Geathers I will always remember you.

Damen Ferrel said...

Geathers,

U were a true friend to me when I needed one. Now that you are gone I can't help but wonder why? You taught me everything I know now when it comes to electricity. Love u man and will miss u greatly. Your boy forever Damen Ferrel

Anonymous said...

Totally shocked by what happened. Geathers you were an awesome dude back when I met you on the blueridge. Miranda, Coldsnow, Serrano, Brown, and myself send out condolences and prayers to your family. I know you're in a much better place now. We'll miss you "Donatello"
-EN3 Chan-