Thursday, December 03, 2009

Scenes from This Morning's Stroll

I was walking along Jaffa Road this morning, on my way to the JCS studios where I was to be interviewed by France24 on the issue of the construction suspension. I was coming from the Machaneh Yehuda - South direction and just past Shaare Zedek I spied this:

Know what it is?

Let's take a closer look:


Yep, it's part of the private/pirate Hareidi eruv system, the Halachic artificial-designed "boundary" for carrying on the Shabbat.

So, I looked to my right and there was the pole:-

and I looked to my left:-

Ah, there it is, the other pole:-

And while we're on the subject of religion in the street, can you figure out what's wrong with this poster announcing a Saturday night gig by the great Dondurma Ensemble?

Yes, the number of candles to be lit!

Many secular Israelis still can't grasp that although the Hebrew date of the Shabbat is 25 Kislev, the first day of Chanukah, the first candle was lit on the previous Friday evening and two candles will be lit on the Saturday night.

2 comments:

yoni said...

but what is that thing hanging from the eruv wire? looks like a dead possum.

YMedad said...

it's a pale red ribbon that helps inspectors recognize if the wire is down