Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Can You Belive It? 1976

From the Network script:

HOWARD' (ON SCREEN)


Now, listen to me, goddammit! The

Arabs are simply buying us! They're

buying all our land, our whole

economy, the press, the factories,

financial institutions, the

government! They're going to own

us! A handful of agas, shahs and

emirs who despise this country and

everything it stands for --

democracy, freedom, the right for me

to get up on television and tell you

about it -- a couple of dozen

medieval fanatics are going to own

where you work, where you live, what

you read, what you see, your cars,

your bowling alleys, your mortgages,

your schools, your churches, your

libraries, your kids, your whole

life! --


AMUNDSEN

(mutters)

The son of a bitch is effective

all right --



HACKETT, who's seen all this already, isn't even watching.

He is sprawled in his chair, eyes closed, numbed, even

serene with despair.


HOWARD (ON SCREEN)

-- And there's not a single law on

the books to stop them! There's

only one thing that can stop them --

you! So I want you to get up now.

I want you to get out of your chairs

and go to the phone. Right now. I

want you to go to your phone or get

in your car and drive into the

Western Union office in town. I

want everybody listening to me to

get up right now and send a telegram

to the White House --


HACKETT

(sighs in soft anguish)

Oh, God



HOWARD (ON SCREEN)

By midnight tonight I want a million

telegrams in the White House! I

want them wading knee-deep in

telegrams at the White House! Get

up! Right now! And send President

Ford a telegram saying: "I'm mad as

hell and I'm not going to take this

any more! I don't want the banks

selling my country to the Arabs! I

want this C.C. and A. deal stopped

now! --



HACKETT

Oh, God --



HOWARD (ON SCREEN)

I want this C.C. and A. deal stopped

now! I want this C.C. and A. deal

stopped now!

No comments: