Sunday, April 25, 2010

On Shoshana Raziel

Here I blogged on the passing of Shoshana Raziel.

Read of her life:


A life underground


Passover 1938 was the happiest time of Shoshana Raziel's life. The day before the holiday began, she'd secretly married her beloved, David Raziel, and their week-long honeymoon that followed was filled with joy.

"I was 18 years old, in the third class at the teachers seminary, and David was 27," she recounted six months ago at her home in Jerusalem's French Hill neighborhood. "We were very poor and we married in secret. The day before the wedding I went to the hairdresser, but the immersion in the mikveh ruined my hairdo. The wedding canopy was put up during the day, in the yard of a building in Ramat Gan, in the presence of a minyan made up of parents, a few relatives, two witnesses from the Irgun [pre-state underground militia] and the rabbi. My father came in from America just for the wedding. Afterward, we had a family lunch in Tel Aviv."

What did you do after that meal?

"My parents went back to Jerusalem, David went back to dealing with Irgun business at the Leumit Kupat Holim [health maintenance organization] offices, and I went to visit Roni Stern, the wife of Avraham 'Yair' Stern and my music teacher. Roni and Avraham lived on the floor below us on Chen Boulevard. On the wedding night, David and I stayed at a hotel in Tel Aviv under an assumed name. It was the first time in my life I'd been inside a hotel. I couldn't fall asleep that night, and David was up until dawn writing.

"Every night during the week of Hol Hamo'ed we held modest celebrations in our parents' homes. The last night we went with some of David's friends, who were older than me, to the Old City walls and sang a funny Betar [youth movement] song called 'Let's Go Home Hand in Hand.'"


Read it all.

No comments: