Wednesday, June 09, 2010

When A Tuchus Is A Real Ass

Writes Jeffrey Goldberg in The Atlantic:-

I've been taking a fair amount of both "ribbing" and "joshing" from friends who objected to the use of the word "tush" in a quotation I gave to the New York Times' Helene Cooper (author of a wonderful book about my third-most-favorite country, btw) for an article she wrote in the Week in Review section on Sunday. The quote reads as follows:
"I don't necessarily believe you solve all of America's problems in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Yemen by freezing settlement growth. On the other hand, there's no particular reason for Israel to make itself a pain in the tush either."
When Helene first interviewed me, I actually used the word "tuchus," rather than "tush," but she phoned back a couple of hours later to tell me that the newspaper's Special Committee for the Proper Deployment of Yiddishisms ruled that "tuchus" is insufficiently elegant, and so could I please offer a substitute. I asked Helene for a suggestion, and she came up with "tushie." I responded by questioning whether the word "tushie" could be considered more elegant than the word "tuchus." I also told her that I could not allow myself to be quoted using the word "tushie" because I am no longer four years old. But because I am a prone to compromise (witness my position on the issue of the two-state solution, as well as on the theoretical idea of sharing Jerusalem), I agreed to substitute "tush" for "tuchus," which I came to regret


What?

...I am a prone to compromise (witness my position on the issue of the two-state solution, as well as on the theoretical idea of sharing Jerusalem),


That's not tuchus, that's just being an ass.(*)




(*)
a stupid, obstinate, or perverse person |made an ass of himself| —often compounded with a preceding adjective |don't be a smart-ass|

No comments: