Monday, July 12, 2010

We Need This Like A 'Hole in the Head'

The standard of car driving by local Arabs is not the best. Proportionately, too many traffic accidents seem to be the responsibility of Arabs (*) and now we have this news:-

Noor Daoud is 20 years old and car-crazy.

She wears black-and-yellow overalls rolled down to her waist, her curly hair tied back in a ponytail, and holds her helmet loosely in a perfectly manicured hand: This Palestinian woman who freely accepts she's a tomboy.

"I like to be tough, not because I want to be, but I am tough already, from the inside, mentally and physically," she told CNN. "So, I like to use it when I'm in the car."

Daoud has been driving since the age of 11 [?!!!] and used to run errands in the car for her mother in East Jerusalem. She was tall for her age, which is how she was able to reach the pedals...I never learned really, nobody taught me, it's all me," she said.

Daoud recently had some expert coaching from British trainer and former competitor Helen Elstrop.

...As Elstrop helped to break down gender barriers in Britain in what was traditionally thought of as a boy's sport, she is helping the Palestinian women to do the same...


Great. That's all we need.



(*)

Arab Israelis accounted for 36 percent of fatal accident victims, despite the fact they represent 20 percent of the population. (2007)


and this

Israeli Arabs are responsible for almost three times as many car accidents as their numbers would warrant. According to police statistics, Israeli Arabs account for 40% of all traffic accidents in Israel though they only make up 15% of the overall population. (2010)

- - -

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen her driving and she's very good. You should be glad at least one Arab is taking their driving seriously.

YMedad said...

As for her, I'm sure she is - with all that UK assistance.

But as a role model? A speed driver?

Aaaaaargh.

туры в барселоне said...

I saw a lot of helpful data above!