Friday, April 08, 2011

Hareidim Get Very Hareidi

Here is the front page of a four-page pamphlet I picked up.  Issue #1, Adar 5771, Topic: Hotels during Pesach.

It's entitled "Machaneinu", or "Our Camp" (like in verse in Exodus 14:19 - "the camp of Israel" [מַחֲנֵה יִשְׂרָאֵל] or 2 Kings 3:24), published by the "Committee for the Purity of The Camp", POB 57049 -


The blue-outlined headline reads:

"The Rabbinical Committee for the Character of Holiday Leisure Sites Calls for: The Pesach Holiday should be celebrated at home in a Jewish family atmosphere as is the age-old custom throughout all the communities".  The 'Rabbinical Commission' will supervise hotels and other leisure location during the holiday...and is not intended to oversee the Kashrut [of the food] but elements of modesty"

The red-outlined section reads:

"Holy letter concerning total separation on public transportation from our Revered Rabbi Yosef Sholom Elyashiv...'I encourage the community as fixed in 2006 to be careful concerning complete separation on public transportation..."

There you have it.

The rest is no better.

^

5 comments:

JE said...

Do they realize that in the time of the Temple, nobody celbrated Pesach at home?

ziontruth said...

What's the point of all these updates on Ultra-Orthodox psikot and pashkevils? I'm almost certain this falls under lashon-hara. I have disagreements with the Haredim myself, but it is not of right Jewish character to publicize such disagreements.

YMedad said...

ZT: this is a very public Hareidi distribution so all I am doing is helping them. And if by doing so, I can alert people with different information and opinions to respond, that's democratic dialogue which informs. That's a role of a blogger.

ziontruth said...

Alright. I just hope people know what they're doing. The laws of shmirat ha-lashon are worse than a minefield. For my part, I try as much as possible to confine my criticisms to worldviews and their groups of holders ("Marxism," "Anti-Zionists" etc.) rather than individuals, in order to avoid that very pitfall. Just being an eitzeh-geber...

ziontruth said...

"The laws of shmirat ha-lashon are worse than a minefield."

I meant, of course, it's easier to transgress them than it is to get blown up in a minefield (God forbid both). The laws themselves are absolute good from the Source Of All Good, yishtabach shmo.