Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Another Silly Israeli Story

Reuters reports that

Inspired by Facebook, a couple in central Israel have named their baby daughter "Like."  "It's short and sweet," Vardit Adler, Like's mother, told Reuters on Tuesday. "It's very important to me and to my husband that the names we give our children are unique, creative and totally new," she said.

Six-day-old Like has two older sisters, 10-year-old Dvash, Hebrew for honey, and five-year-old Pie, "as in apple pie," Adler said.  "I'm not worried about other children teasing Like. Dvash and Pie don't seem to mind their special names and nobody teases them," Adler said.


That reminds me of a joke I heard decades ago, of an Israeli women who had named her son Numero Uno.
 
Told that she should use Hebre and not Italian, she replied, "But I did."
 
"Numero comes from the Hebrew word, namer, for tiger and Uno stems from the Hebrew, on, which means strength."
 
^

No comments: