Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Jewish Palestine Refugees

I cannot now recall whether I uploaded the correspondence below but since I couldn't Google it, I thought it prudent to (re)post it here.

My interest was simple, actually.  Definition of terms. For example, what is a family?  Respect for minorities. The matter of reunification.  That refugees who were Arabs did return to Israel, in December1949, from Jordan and earlier, from Lebanon.  That UNRWA was intended to assist "Palestine Refugees", not Palestinian refugees.  And now the US Senate has returned the 1946-1948 time period definition, which UNRWA admits:

Under UNRWA's operational definition, Palestine refugees are people whose normal place of residence was Palestine between June 1946 and May 1948, who lost both their homes and means of livelihood as a result of the 1948 Arab-Israeli conflict.

Note: "people", not only Arabs.

So, nine years ago, I wrote and asked if Jews had ever received assistance?  I was also hoping for a basis for a claim that Jews expelled from their homes in Judea, Samaria or Gaza - the four kibbutzim in Gush Etzion, Bet Ha'Aravah, etc. - could either return or be provided with funds.  I even spoke with former MK Gershon Shafat who was secretary of Ein Tzurim as to leading a legal effort.

My approach to UNRWA in Gaza:



And the reply:



The original number, then, of Jews who were Palestine refugees is at least 3000 but less than 17,000.

Do family descendents count?

Unfortunately, the Wikipedia entry regarding Jewish refugees due to the 1948 war does not deal with this angle.

It should be corrected.

^

No comments: