Sunday, March 10, 2013

A Branch of Palestine

What is the "Palestine Branch"?

So here is just one of our reports. In this one, a couple who spoke with Syrian refugees in Jordan says that they met with a 15-year-old girl who was held, raped, and sexually tortured for 10 days in an apartment. During that time, she was injected with a substance that immobilized her and mice were inserted into her vagina. After this torture, she was transferred by her captors to Syria’s Palestine Security Branch in Damascus, she said. She was then dumped and left to die in a Damascus suburb.
This is a photo of a girl named Zaynab [photograph by Matilde Gattoni]. She is a 16 year-old girl from Homs who fled to Lebanon in January. There she told a photographer that she left Syria because her teen girlfriends at school had been kidnapped by Syrian army soldiers, raped, and then killed.
This echoes a recent testimony printed in The Telegraph (UK), in which an Assad supporter and shabiha militia member admitted to raping and killing.


and this:

 
“The earliest thing I remember is being stopped at a checkpoint in Homs,” said Nour. “I thought I was going to be detained but the soldiers there took me to an apartment where there were other girls … I was there for two or three days and then they took me to Damascus to the Palestine Branch. They held me there for two-and-a-half to three months. There were three other women there … They had a schedule. They would take turns with us. More than one man would rape you. It wasn’t every day, but it was regular.”
Nour continues to say, “There were three other women in the cell when I arrived ... Throughout our time in that cell, the four of us there were permanently in one of four positions: They tied our handcuffed hands above our heads onto a chain coming out of the ceiling and chained our feet together with our feet flat on the floor. They tied us face up to a metal bed which just had two planks of wood on it – we were in an X position so our wrists and ankles were attached to the four corners of the bed frame. They put our entire hunched body into the hole of a big tire with our back bent forward. They tied us to a metal chair with no bottom or back to which they sometimes attached electrodes to electrocute us.
“With every new shift of the guards, they would switch our positions. We slept in those positions. They electrocuted us quite often ... Each time my body and particularly my jaw and teeth would clench up for a long time – it was extremely painful ...
“They did other things to us too ... [They] raped us while we were on the bed ... [one of them] used to force the soldiers who were reluctant, saying things like “I have a sister,” to rape us. In my case they raped me about four or five times ... Twice, more than one man raped me one after the other. I cannot remember how many it was each time.”

^

No comments: